Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Purpose of this Blog

I have been a minister with the church of Christ for over thirty-five years. My middle son is now a minister and serves the Church in Maryland. This is his second stint as a preacher. The first was right out of college. This second comes after proving himself as a businessman. We talk frequently. One of the things he tells me is: "Every young preacher needs a mentor. I don't know how they make it without one."

I take it that this comment is a compliment aimed at me, and I am more than a little humbled by it.

But his statement is a true one. How I have made it this long is a testimony to the grace of God and the patience of good brothers and sisters in Christ, to a supportive wife who remains interested in what I am doing after all these years - and to my father, who has been MY mentor all these years.

But having spent this long in this job, I feel it is important to pass along what I have learned, and that's the purpose of this blog. This blog is for Church leaders -- specifically leaders in the Church of Christ. If you are a leader, I hope you will read and comment. There is much to do in the Lord's Church. We must do it together, and we can learn from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment